Monday, August 4, 2014

The Way of the Program

The single most important skill for a computer scientist is problem solving. Problem solving means the ability to formulate problems, think creatively about solutions, and express a solution clearly and accurately. As it turns out, the process of learning to program is an excellent opportunity to practice problem solving skills. That’s why this chapter is called, The Way of the Program. - How to Think Like a Computer Scientist.

Is programming a discipline that can increase one's ability and desire to solve problems? Or are people who are drawn to programming more naturally inclined toward critical thinking and problem solving?

I think that the answer may be a mixture of the two. I firmly believe in constantly doing that which one can not do. (Borrowed from Van Gogh) Perhaps it's my stubborn, dogged mind. My mother used to say that when I was little, if I couldn't get what I wanted one way, I would keep trying different angles until one worked.

It became a life philosophy for me. I call it the Assaulting the Fortress way of life. If one way doesn't work, keep going around the fortress until you find a chink in the wall that you can begin to whittle away at, or search out the bolt hole. (Many ancient castles and fortresses had an underground passage that led out a secret way for families to escape if under attack.) If I want something badly enough, I'm certainly not too good to sneak in the back way.

The take-away here is never give up and keep trying different things and be stubborn, but flexible. For me that is problem solving. Let's see how well it works in learning to program.

Today I'll be reading Chapter 2 in Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner. I have to figure out the best way to post on those lessons. The author worked hard on them and I don't want to infringe on his rights or hard work.

I would love to hear people's thoughts on this. If for some reason you can't post a comment, please let me know at nadinarmedlin@gmail.com

Have a great day and never give up!

No comments:

Post a Comment